Survey costs

/ Survey costs #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Been hunting for land, and looks like I may have found a deal, in all this property hunting we have been doing, I was always told,,, Oh, about $400 to $500 to have a survey done.

Well, so here I am closing in on the end of the deal, I contact the surveyors, the boss goes and gets the platt and other documents from the courthouse bring it too them, and it will be $800 to $1000 to survey it..... (3.5 acres)

Good greif, time to hunt for another surveyor......

/ Survey costs #2  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
Ahh....

Depends on what type of survey is required. If they can do end points and get away with it ---- it is cheaper.

if they need to do the full plat --- expensive.

How current is the plat?

-Mike Z.

/ Survey costs #3  

HomeBrew2

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Price sounds ok to me. If you can beat it, by all means do so :)

/ Survey costs #4  

Ifixcars

Silver Member
That sounds like a good price to me. Surveys ain't cheap. Surveyors are the new doctors, from the prices they charge. I got prices around 1800 for my 4 acres. With the laser equipment they have, it's not like the old days when they actually had to do some math. Now its all point and shoot, then get paid. It took about 3 hours for them to do it.

/ Survey costs
OP
AlanB

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
This may sound crazy, but I do not see a date on the Plat.

The last Survey was done, 14 March 1969, begining at an axle in the western margin of whitfield road........................ and includes two more axles and an iron pin :)

Just have to call around, I am comfortable that I know where the boundries are, but I think the seller wants me to get this done, and with the terms I am being offered, I do what he wants. :)

/ Survey costs #6  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
Probably won't even have to get out of the truck... I have a good friend who is a surveyor and he makes a killing on repeat survey jobs. Same property many times over. He has done a few jobs for me. Two + acres, about $400. 40 + acres, about $1200.

mark

/ Survey costs #7  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
I just got my survey finished on 6 acres I bought. I got estimates from 6 surveyors and this was the cheapest, quickest one I could get. All they did was use a gps to mark the 4 corners and it took about an hour of field work. I had to set an appointment with them 6 months ahead of time and the price was $6000.00.:mad:
In South Louisiana in this post-Katrina world, prices are strictly amazing. :eek: :eek:
This survey doesn't even tell me if my fence or barn are on my property or where to put the section of fence that is missing. :confused: Naturally, I would not have even gotten this survey if I had not been required to. I have not been able to even find a surveyor who would be willing to mark my property line at any cost.:( Before Katrina I got a survey on a house I bought on a city lot for $400.:)

/ Survey costs #8  

deereguy

Gold Member
Tractor
Have a few of this and that...but I bleed green!
My family is having a survey done on a new farm (to us), 150 fairly flat acres, pretty clean fence lines with some fence on most of the 4 boundaries and he quoted $2700-$3000. Felt that was reasonable considering we were quoted close to $10K for surveying 52 rolling acres (woods/pasture/brush) close to 7 years ago.

/ Survey costs #9  

KYErik

Platinum Member
Tractor
1977 AC 7000, 1980 JD 2840, 1963 Case 930, 1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe
About 5 years ago, I paid $750 for a survey of 8.5 acres (rolling with some brush on one end). It took them about 6 hours. The same company had done the survey 15 years earlier but they had trouble finding some of the old iron pins. The mortgage company required the the survey be done even though I had an old copy of the plat.

/ Survey costs #10  

tbaiely

Tractor
new holland 3930
i am in the surveying business the going rate is between $0.25 to $1.50 a linear foot of boundary! and that depends on the type of cover (is it wooded or cleared) the terrian(flat or hilly) time of year(in the summer all leaves are green you have to cut much more to see than you have to in the winter!) and the requirements of the city/county/state the property is located in and you must remember that a surveyor is personnally/legally liable for the work he is doing for you, all work has to be checked and rechecked you have to be able to defend every survey you do in court!